All parents have different ideas on how to raise children, and there isn’t a magical formula that works with every child. If modern parenting doesn’t seem your style, then maybe trying some more old-fashioned methods will work.
If you’re interested in raising your children to respect the old-fashioned life, then the first and most important thing you can do is show by example. Of course, there’s more to it than that. Here are some ideas on how to raise your kids to follow the same fantastic, healthy and wholesome old-fashioned lifestyle that many of us enjoyed:
- Encourage independence and self-sufficiency – Empower children to make their own decisions, work out solutions to problems and take charge of themselves.
- Teach respect for others and themselves
- Earn rewards and work hard – Encourage children to work to earn rewards. They’ll not only gain a good sense of how to work hard but better understand the value of things.
- Encourage responsibility – help your kids take responsibility for their actions and decisions, and teach them to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done.
- Teach old fashioned skills – Check out this list of 21 old fashioned skills that are a must-have for all kids!
- Set an example – kids watch by learning, so if you practice what you preach they will likely follow suit.
- Spend more time outside – technology is fantastic, but whenever possible send your kids outside to explore and entertain themselves. They’ll not only learn about the world around them but also gain independence.
- Value family – no matter who you ask, valuing family is one old-fashioned skill that pretty much everyone agrees on. Encourage children to get to know their grandparents and relatives and be respectful.
What other tips do you have for raising kids the old-fashioned way? Share with me in the comments!