Breakfast is the most important and undoubtedly the yummiest meal of the day, in my opinion. And seeing as how I’m from the South, biscuits and gravy is an absolute must-have for those big breakfasts. In fact, it’s something of a tradition in my family to have biscuits and gravy whenever we get together for any holiday that requires staying overnight. My father always makes the most delicious gravy and my mother makes the biscuits.
These biscuits are my absolute favorite. They are crumbly and moist and not too fussy–perfect for a family meal! You can add any number of things to them for variation, but my favorite is to just make them plain to eat with gravy!
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Grease a cookie sheet
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar together
- Cut the shortening into the flour with two knives, a pastry blender or a a whisk until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Don't mix too much!
- Add the milk all at once and stir just until mixed. Dough should be a little sticky*
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until bottom is browned
For variation, try adding ½ cup of sharp cheddar cheese, spices, chives, or bacon to the mix.