In the last few months, I’ve been working towards removing the use of harsh chemicals in my home in order to find more safe solutions. While it’s a slow journey finding solutions that are affordable and effective, I do have one top-secret ingredient: Baking soda. Baking soda pretty much cleans and deodorizes everything. Here are some of the ways that I use it:
- Remove coffee stains – rub a water and baking soda paste on the inside of your white coffee cups to remove the brown stains!
- Remove clothing stains – pre-treat your clothing stains with a paste of baking soda and water prior to wash. Doesn’t work on all stains, but doesn’t hurt either…
- Deodorize litter box – If you have kitties, sprinkle some baking soda on the bottom of the box before you add the litter. You can also add a bit of baking soda to the litter if it starts to smell between changes. Be sure to mix it in!
- Deodorize garbage disposal – sprinkle some baking soda down your sink or garbage disposal and run hot water to get rid of smells.
- Deodorize fridge – place an open box of baking soda in your fridge to get rid of smells. Switch it out every few months for best results.
- Clean/Deodorize toilet – use baking soda to deodorize and clean your toilet.
- Clean kitchen sink – I use baking soda and vinegar to help whiten porcelain sinks and get rid of stuck-on food. It cleans and deodorizes at the same time, so it’s a win-win
- Clean stovetop and oven – sprinkle baking soda on your stovetop or oven and spritz with water. Let sit for a while, then scrub and rinse. For really burnt-on stovetops, use vinegar for a bit of added oomph!
- Clean burnt-on pans – I’m sure you never burn anything, but if you did, soak the pan with baking soda and water for a few hours for easier cleaning! I don’t like to use this on my teflon/nonstick pans, but it works wonders on steel pots and pans.
- Baking! – Duh! Baking soda is in a handful of my family recipes including baking soda biscuits; a family favorite at my house!
Of course, those are only a handful of uses. I know a lot of people who swear by using baking soda for various personal care problems like toothpaste, facial scrubs, homemade deodorant, as an antacid, to stop itching from bites, etc. I haven’t tried these, personally, but it really only furthers my belief in this awesome powder!
How do you use baking soda? Share your thoughts with me in the comments!