From making your own jams and jellies to raising chickens in the backyard or even doing some gardening and DIY projects, homesteading looks different for everyone. And, really, it’s more of a lifestyle than anything. But it’s hard to put the ‘homesteading’ label on everyday life.
But never fear! Today I have some clues that you might be becoming a homesteader:
- Waking up at 7 a.m. is sleeping in
- Boxed food tastes like chemicals to you
- Work boots and pajamas are totally fashionable
- Chickens provide more entertainment than the TV
- You’d rather be outdoors than indoors
- You can’t remember the last time you bought vegetables at the store
- You prefer to barter for goods than use money
- You see things at the store and immediately think of how you could make it yourself (possibly with improvements)
- Your pantry feels a little too small sometimes
So what do you think? Are you a homesteader?
3 out of 9, guess an off the gridder is different than a homesteader. I don’t have any animals and love to sleep in. But I do have a garden. – Margy
Liz E. says
Aw, I’m sure you’re still a homesteader, Margy! It’s different for everyone. Thanks for reading!!
Pamela J Edgington says
I love to share what I have learned with my daughters and granddaughters so that the art of home preserving and gardening does not die. I may be totally necessary someday to survive. Besides doing these thing together is fun
Homesteading is a state of mind, more and more people are getting behind the old way of things. We get up at 4:30 am here, and our pantry never has enough room for us.