It’s that time of the year again. It’s freezing outside, snow is on the ground, and everyone takes their turn getting sick. Stuffy noses and coughs are no fun, though sometimes unavoidable. At this point, you guys probably know that I am not much of a fan of store-bought medicinal supplies and I prefer to look for an all natural remedy.
If you haven’t yet started a journey with essential oils, I really really recommend doing so. They open up a bunch of different DIY healing options, from making lotions and herbal teas to creating a salve like the vapor rub we will talk about today!
What You Need
- 3 tbsp beeswax pellets
- 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 45 – 60 drops of essential oils (peppermint, eucalyptus, rosemary, lavender, tea tree, chamomile, etc)
- Storage jar with a tight lid
The Essential Oils
To have an effective vapor rub, you’ll definitely want at least 15 drops of peppermint oil and 15 drops of eucalyptus oil. These are two of the most popular oils to help clear nasal passages and chest congestion. Tea tree also works great as an expectorant. Chamomile works to relieve congestion as well as calm you down, so it makes a great addition. In cases where your stuffy nose is making it hard to sleep, lavender could be a good option.
The possibilities are really endless here, and you can add or take away essential oils as you please! Different oils will not only tweak how your salve will benefit you, you can even work on finding the perfect smell for your vapor rub! Just be sure to research enough to confirm that the oil you’d like to use can be used topically.
- Melt down the beeswax in a double boiler, or another dish designated for wax.
- Stir in the coconut oil, starting with a 1/2 cup, and adding more if needed to reach your desired thickness.
- Remove from heat and add the essential oils.
- Mix everything until it’s perfectly blended, and allow it to infuse overnight in its container before using.
And, voila! Your very own homemade vapor rub, without any harmful chemicals or additives. This is a salve that you can confidently use on yourself or your children any time a cold hits your house!