In this hectic hustle and bustle life, I think that people sometimes forget how to have a good old-fashioned (and inexpensive) date night. While there’s nothing wrong with splurging on an expensive evening, I’ve found that my favorite memories came from spur-of-the-moment, inexpensive dates. So this year, why not create a fun Old-Fashioned date jar for your loved one and fill it with cheap date ideas to do year round!
To create your own date jar, find a pretty jar at the thrift store or simply use an old jar you have around the house (mason jars are very popular for such things, although you probably won’t want to waste a good jar for this). Then, write the date ideas on anything you can find–popsicle sticks, pieces of pretty paper, stones–and drop them in the jar. Label it and place it somewhere you’ll remember. Then let the dates begin!
Here are 20 cheap date ideas to get you started. Nearly all of these dates are $15 or less, so they’re perfect for anytime. Take a look:
- Make a campfire outside and relax
- Play “Truth or Dare” with this list of questions, or simply go back and forth and use them as conversation starters
- Go to a park and feed the ducks/pigeons
- Play a game of Monopoly or Chess. If you don’t know how, learn it together!
- Go to a flea market or thrift store and buy the weirdest thing you can find for $5
- Go on a hike
- Check the local coffee shops or pubs for live music and free shows
- Have a picnic in the park or anywhere outdoors and scenic. Make it romantic with battery-powered candles/lamps and wine.
- Learn a new recipe together
- Volunteer at a shelter and play with the dogs/cats
- On the first windy day of spring, fly dollar-store kites in the park
- Pretend to be a tourist in your hometown and visit all the local attractions and museums
- Take a cheap, disposable camera downtown and trade it back and forth as you explore to see who can get the best pictures.
- Find a dish you both can make, then use the same ingredients and have a cooking competition
- Take a free tour of a local brewery or winery
- Learn a new dance together either from YouTube videos at home or at an inexpensive class at the local fitness center or dance studio
- Rent a foreign movie and watch it with no English subtitles. Try and guess what’s going on, or mute it and make up your own dialogue!
- Get a group of couples together and organize a picture scavenger hunt
- Buy or borrow a book on local wildlife then go on a walk and see how many plants, animals and birds you can identify
- Go out for ice cream
Which is your favorite? Do you have any cheap dates that you and your loved one enjoy? Share with us in the comments!