Prepping is all about being, well, prepared. It isn’t necessarily about the end of the world barreling towards us, as many people probably think, but about being prepared for all types of emergencies— bad weather, losing your job, or even an economic depression.
Most often, preppers start with food and water— which is great, because obviously you can’t live long without those, but other items are often overlooked. So, I compiled a list of some non-food items you should try to have handy in case of an emergency. Obviously, you probably can’t go stock up on everything at once, so I would just start with some priories and work your way through.
Heat, Light, and Power
- Matches and a lighter
- Oil lamps, oil, and wicks
- Kerosene heater
- Hand warmers
- Winter clothes and warm shoes
- A way to cook
- Batteries, preferably rechargeable— maybe even with a solar charger!
- Sleeping bags, air mattress, or cot
- Blankets, sheets, pillows
- Plastic sheeting
- Tape and duct tape – plenty of it!
- Waterproofing spray
- Various medications- pain reliever, cold medicine, children’s medicine, anti-diarrhea medication, etc
- Peroxide and rubbing alcohol
- Natural antibiotics
Hygiene / Sanitation
- Soap and shampoo
- Bug spray
- Vinegar – Great for sanitizing surfaces.
- Hand sanitizer
- Toothbrushes and toothpaste
- Toilet paper / tissues
- Tools— a hammer, pliers, a saw, a screwdriver, a shovel, and a rake are all good ideas!
- Any pet supplies for furry friends
- Super glue
- Safety pins
- Zip lock bags
- Needles and thread
- Personal records such as drivers license and birth certificate
- Entertainment, like playing cards and board games.
You really don’t need to go crazy and spend a lot of money with this, the idea is to be able to last through short-term crisis’. To me, prepping is something that really goes hand in hand with self-sufficiency. So many skills and even knowledge in general are lost in today’s society, which makes me question how many could survive if normal circumstances were no longer the case.
Prepping makes sense for anyone who wants to feel responsible for themselves! If you need some help getting started, check out this article.
Do you have any other supplies that should be included on this list? Share with me in the comments!
Leave a Reply