There is nothing quite as good in the summer as home grown strawberries when they are paired with vanilla ice cream and homemade shortcakes. This version of strawberry shortcake has been a favorite in our home in the summer for many years.
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3cups of strawberries
- ¼ cup of sugar (adjust this according to taste and ripeness of strawberries)
- Vanilla Ice cream
- Whipping Cream
- 3 -4 strawberries
- 2 cups of Flour
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ⅓ cup of butter
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons Demerara Sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of milk(optional for brushing top of biscuits)
- Wash, hull and cut strawberries into a small bowl, leave sliced or lightly mash them with a fork. Sprinkle strawberries with the sugar and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes Place strawberries in the refrigerator to chill in a covered container until it is time to serve.
- Set oven to 375
- Combine all dried ingredients except the demerara sugar in a large mixing bowl and stir. Cut butter into ½ inch cubes and blend into the mixture in the bowl until it looks like coarse crumbs the size of peas.
- Mix 1 large egg, milk, and vanilla extract in a small bowl then combine with the flour only until the dough comes together.
- Separate dough into 3 large or 4 smaller rounds, place on cooking sheet mounding them slightly in the middle. Brush milk on top of biscuits and sprinkle with Demerara sugar. Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes until browned and a toothpick comes clean when inserted. Cool completely before serving.
- Split biscuits in half and place bottom half in bowl or small plate. Add one or two scoops of vanilla ice cream, then spoon strawberries over the top. Place the top of the biscuit on the strawberries and ice cream and top with whipping cream and a strawberry.
Leave a Reply