By now, you guys probably know I am a huge sucker for keeping the house, and in turn my life, pretty organized. One of the easiest way to keep the house tidy is to simply establish a cleaning routine, but if you need an extra kick, check out this 52 week challenge to an organized home.
I definitely think that one of the major problems with keeping an organized home in today’s world is that people just have way too much stuff! Every few months, or at least 2x a year, I try to make myself go through my stuff— room by room works easiest for me— and purge myself of alllllll the unnecessary stuff I’ve acquired, or that’s become unnecessary during that time.
On that thought, today, I’ve compiled the ultimate purging list for getting rid of items you don’t need anymore.
- Chipped glasses / plates
- Expired and stale food
- Appliances you don’t use
- Bottles and tupperware without lids
- Decorations that are simply cluttering your counters
- Old brushes – at least clean them 🙂
- Expired medicine
- Other expired supplies like sunscreen, Vaseline, etc
- Old bath toys
- Bath mats – clean or replace!
- Old hair ties, bands, and clips
- Unused makeup products / brushes
- Nail polish
- Worn out / outgrown clothes and shoes
- Hats, gloves, scarfs, belts, unmatched socks, bras, and underwear that you don’t use
- Old blankets / sheets that aren’t used
- Towels that are beyond repair
- Change purses, purses, makeup bags, and totes
- Expired coupons and giftcards
- Old paperwork – check out this guide to see how long you need important documents
- Old books
- Filter out your email – block spam addresses, delete your junk mail, and unsubscribe from places you don’t shop at.
- Old CD’s, DVD’s, maybe even VHS…
- Clear out your phone – old photos, apps, texts, and contacts
- Old magazines
- Old electronics
- Burnt down candles – try to make them into new candles!
- Any old toys and games that are no longer used
- Craft supplies
Obviously, if you’re going to use it, don’t throw it away; this is guide is simply to help you find the areas where you might have too much stuff.
Also keep in mind that a lot of these supplies— like old sheets and T-Shirts, can be made into other useful items, like cleaning rags. Also, a lot of your old items can be sold in a garage sale, like old electronics, CD’s, and clothing.
Keeping your home de-cluttered and getting rid of items that aren’t needed will you help you keep your life simple. How else do you keep life simple? Share with me in the comments!