I admit I’m not all that much of a canner. I have done some canning in the past (mostly strawberries) but it’s not exactly a passion of mine and I currently lack the space to actually can anything. However, one of my coworkers gave me this fantastic recipe for simple freezer pickles and brought me a sample. I don’t have any photos, sadly, but let me tell you; they were delicious!
Freezer pickles are crisp and yummy and, best of all, require absolutely zero special equipment: all you need is a freezer, a freezer bag and some household ingredients. I might suggest you freeze these beauties in small batches so you can enjoy them over time–that’s half the fun of canning, after all!
Anyway, here’s the recipe:
- 7 cups of pickling cucumbers, sliced into round slices. I slice mine a little on the thin side
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced*
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups white sugar**
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- Combine the white vinegar, sugar, celery seed and salt together in a mixing bowl. Stir until dissolved. You may need to microwave for 30 seconds to help the sugar all dissolve.
- Place cucumber, pepper and onion slices in a freezer bag or other freezable container, making sure it's all evenly mixed.
- Pour vinegar mixture over the veggies and make sure it's all mixed together.
- Refrigerate for 24 - 48 hours, stirring at least twice.
- Move to the freezer; thaw before eating
** You can lessen the amount of sugar if you like; it shouldn't change the recipe much, just the taste.
How interesting! I never heard of freezer pickles before. I can’t wait to try it!
Liz E. says
They’re great! Let me know what you think!!
Kelly Muhl says
Hi! After thawing out a bag to eat, about how long will the pickles stay good in the refrigerator?